Periodontal (gum) disease is a leading cause of tooth loss and is prevalent in up to 90% of the population to some degree. Early treatment is essential to prevent bad breath, tooth discoloration and irreversible loss of bone which supports teeth.
At Renmore Dental, our hygienist is available to help our patients maintain healthy gums and to treat more advanced established gum disease.
Most patients require routine 6-monthly cleaning appointments to maintain gum health.
For more advanced gum disease, a more comprehensive cleaning under local anaesthetic is required (root planing). This advanced gum-treatment is tax-deductable.
Treatment of Advanced Gum Disease (Periodontitis)
Treatment of advanced periodontal disease requires removal of tartar and plaque from below the gum-line. This requires local anaesthetic and is more complex than a standard scale and polish.
A course of periodontal treatment for advanced periodontal disease involves the following stages:
- Assessment Appointment: Collection of all relevant data including x-rays, pocket depths, bleeding and plaque scores. These recordings allow us to accurately assess the level of disease and to give baseline measurements against which to judge success or otherwise of ongoing treatment. Demonstration of appropriate hygiene techniques is provided at this session.
- Root planing: Deep cleaning under local anaesthetic is done over two hour-long appointments and includes demonstration and reinforcement of oral hygiene techniques.
- Review: One month after the completion of root planning a review appointment is needed to assess how your gums have responded. Some additional cleaning, if required, may take place at this visit.
- Costs of treatment for advanced periodontal disease: The total cost of the Assessment, Root Planing and Review appointments is €450. This can be paid in full at the start of treatment or in three payments of €150 over the first three visits. The cost of this treatment is tax-deductable at 20% and you will be provided with the Med 2 Forms at the end of treatment. The recall and ongoing regular hygienist visits cost €70.
- Recall: Three months after the review appointment, a recall appointment is required to determine if treatment is successful or whether further referral to a specialist periodontist is required. Some areas can be difficult to keep clean and may not respond to the above therapy as well as we would like. These areas may require referral to a Periodontist (Gum Specialist) for further treatment.
- Maintenance: It is important to remember that the continuation of effective oral hygiene techniques at home is essential to the success of the treatment. Regular hygienist appointments, a minimum of every 6-months, are required to ensure that plaque and tartar does not build up again which may require further sessions of root-planing. Once your course of treatment is completed you must maintain your oral hygiene in order to maintain the results achieved during treatment.